Ten years ago my first godchild was born. In preparation for that event I made him a baptismal gown; a linen slip and a silk gown with silk lace and ribbon. I chose to hand sew the whole thing so that every stitch would be a prayer for him and any future children who might wear the gown. They weren’t perfect but I was quite pleased.
Baby Sister in same gown
It had been a couple of years since I had sewn anything at all. Before that I had spent over twenty years making SCA costumes and even a tourney tent. I have always been good at sewing and simple dressmaking but I never learned tailoring. I was rarely concerned about fine details, just grind out the needed items
After a ten year gap, about two months ago I wanted a comfortable, casual skirt that I could lounge around in but I couldn’t find anything I liked. Then it occurred to me that I could make one and I didn’t even need a pattern. I bought the length of the skirt twice plus a little more: I got twice the width of the fabric around to pleat onto the waist and enough for a waistband. There was even enough left to make one in-seam pocket. The pocket was a bit small and not in quite the right spot, but it holds my phone so I’m happy enough.
I took my time and tried a technique I had wanted to try; I constructed it using Elizabethan seams. While sewing, a couple of times my thread got twisted and I remembered my old German sewing teacher and the idea of this blog was born.
Lesson Learned: If you don’t know how something works, get help. I bought a skirt pattern after just so I would have a template for the size and location of pockets on the next skirt. I also needed the written instruction’s details about construction details. I’ve been very happy with results since.